Fear The Con 11 - The Aftermath

When you spend a ton of time with the same people over the course of 3-4 days, you tend to see a lot of the same folks over and over. Fear The Con in St. Louis, MO was just this past weekend, and aside from having some GREAT experiences running games that I'd designed, I really enjoyed the time spent with the people at the table. To me, a game isn't a great game unless the people are willing to share a part of themselves with you.
The people you encounter can make or break your experience. Who did I encounter?
My friend's wife, about whom my friend said, "Don't let her take over your game," didn't. But she was one of the more proactive players at the table, which I was grateful for.
A couple friends I'd met and have gotten to know well over the course of the last few years, who feel like I'm reuniting with family I'd only discovered recently.
An old friend from childhood, who is the reason I got into gaming.
A man who made me feel more welcome in this hobby than anyone else.
The young man from the East Coast who had dyslexia. I can see now how hard it is for someone to do something I take for granted.
The young woman who asked that I used "they" and "them" pronouns when referring to her. It was the first time I'd ever been asked to do that, and it turned out not to be a big deal.
The young couple who played with me in a game about a romantic relationship completely dismantling itself. It was somewhat satisfying, yet odd, to see how much fun they had tearing that relationship apart.
The man who played a dire sloth bard.
The gentleman who was skeptical about jumping in on an RPG with a press-your-luck dice rolling mechanic, but had fun with it anyway.
The gentleman who was skeptical about jumping in on a professional wrestling RPG scenario, but had fun with it anyway.
Everyone who bought into the idea of rolling coffee beans instead of dice.
Everyone who told me, "I heard great stuff about the [whatever] game you ran this weekend."

There's nothing more rewarding than shared experiences, and when you're sharing that time over creating stories and weaving tales, there's something magical. It's an experience you'll never be able to relive, even if you play the same scenario in the same system 7 times in 7 days with the exact same people. The human element in RPGs is what's missing in many other games. And while board games, video games, and sports are worthwhile and fun, the magic of roleplaying takes you to another level.
I'm glad this hobby is growing. Here's to more experiences like this!

There Is No Box.
Zach

Comments